Patient Participation Group Meeting Minutes

 

BACK TO MAIN INDEX

 

Monday 14th March 2022, 7pm

Present

Mike Garett (chair), Jean Poole (vice-chair and secretary), Dr V Smith, Richard Marshall, Lee Atkins, Cindy Garett, Tess Munden, Rob Munden, Lee Davitt, Trudy Gwatkin, Mike Woodward, Dave Powell

Welcome

Mike welcomed everyone to the meeting

Apologies

Kerry Harding, Sharon Shaw

Approval of previous minutes

Tess Munden, seconded Mike Woodward

Matters arising from previous minutes

  • PPG leaflet revision – to be discussed at the next meeting
  • Patient survey – the national NHS survey has been sent out so any local survey options will be re-visited later in the year
  • Practice information booklet revision – a draft is available and Richard will arrange for a copy to be sent to the PPG for comment
  • Patient seating – riser blocks are being trialled on a chair near the treatment rooms and a bariatric chair is on order. Richard to follow up

PPG issues

VPPG members validation

This was completed in January. 6 potential new members failed to reply to the welcome email so their contact details have been deleted from the PPG records.

Confirmation of continuing interest messages were sent to those already on the mailing list.

Richard mentioned that the surgery website was being “refreshed” so this was a good time to revisit the PPG pages and sign up form, especially as it’s unclear whether patients are signing up inadvertently. Mike and Jean to liaise with Richard and Anna

Social prescribing

Dr Smith explained that there is a referral system in place for the local network social prescriber (supplied through Southern Brooks). General feedback is received although not patient specific, but is primarily a signposting service. Jean and Mike to review comments on NAPP newsfeed pages about this service elsewhere

Patient portal

The issue regarding date of birth entry on a query form still warrants investigation as currently not user friendly. Richard to follow up

Stroke service review

A review across the district has taken place and plans for more centralised services have been published. Full roll out is expected by November (see BNSSG Healthier Together - Stroke Service)

Magazine articles about GP services

Some recent articles about pressure on GPs were discussed. Dr Smith explained that GP recruitment locally was very difficult alongside rising patient numbers. The group supported the idea of giving patients an option of face to face or telephone consultations as a fair balance.

Covid booster programme update

Richard confirmed that a further round of Covid vaccinations for those over 75 or clinically extremely vulnerable would start next month. PPG volunteers to assist at clinics would be welcome. Vaccinations for 5 – 12 year olds were available at a centralised base in Downend.

Courtside issues

Staffing update – A new urgent care nurse (Claire Barrel) will be starting in April and a new surgery based pharmacist ( Bethan Bell) in May. 2 new receptionists started at the end of last year (James and Emma). A local network care co-ordinator (Kenny) is involved in reviews of patients with hypertension.

As yet, there is no replacement for Dr Brooks who retires in June.

AOB items

  • Integrated care system – the new arrangements are being rolled out in April and aim to bring services together more locally (see BNSSG Healthier Together - ICP)
  • Urgent care service/NHS 111 – Jean is our representative on this group and face to face meeting start again next month.

Date of next meeting

Monday 9th May – 7pm